Tom has over 25 years of executive level managerial and financial experience in small privately-held and family-owned businesses. His recent experience was as a partner and CFO with two high tech start-ups spun out of Carnegie Mellon University. Tom understands the complexities of starting a business and the challenges of growing a profitable business and is looking forward to sharing his insights and experience with others.
Tom lives in the north hills area of Pittsburgh with his wife Darlene.
Congratulations to Tom for completing the Exit Planning Institute’s Certified Exit Planning Advisor program and exam.
with Bob Vernick of The Farmers National Bank present Roadmap to Recovery webinar, August 11, 2020.
May 1, 2020
with Tom Bartos
by Tom Bartos
By Tom Bartos
Tom started his career in public accounting at Arthur Andersen & Co., then went on to work with a privately-held oil & gas client in Pittsburgh as VP-Finance. He and the management team negotiated its sale to a publicly-traded oil & gas company. Tom joined ABARTA, a family-owned group of businesses, where he was the CFO of ABARTA Oil & Gas Co. for 23 years until retiring to pursue working with friends and family start-ups. For the two years prior to joining FocusCFO, Tom was a partner, Board member, and CFO of two artificial intelligence companies spun out of Carnegie Mellon University.
Tom attended Duquesne University, receiving a BSBA degree in Accounting.
• Spending time: With my wife
• Favorite books: John Grisham novels
• Favorite musical Artist/Song: I am a Classical Rock guy
• Favorite movie: Godfather series
• Favorite vacation: Maui
• What I wanted to be when I was a child: A lawyer (my Mom’s idea)
• Favorite thing about being with FocusCFO: All the great people!
• Passionate about: Life and golf
• Something most people don’t know about me: Rang the opening bell at the NYSE and closing bell at the NASDAQ, what a thrill!
• Top of my “bucket list”: Golf at Augusta National
• Favorite Activities: Golf, fishing, skiing and scuba diving